About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Deck's Fried Chicken


THIS IS A REPOST FROM DECKONFOOD.COM.  http://deckonfood.com/?p=428

Tuesday, July 6 was a typical day for me.  I'd headed into work in the morning with my coffee and lunch.  I was working away, answering e-mails, making phone calls, etc.  About mid-way through the day, I saw a tweet come across with some recipes to help celebrate National Fried Chicken Day.  Two things crossed my mind.  First, I need to figure out when more of these national food days are (almost missed National Grilled Cheese Day too).  Second, how was I going to celebrate?  I then realized that before leaving, I had pulled some chicken breasts out of the freezer.  Needless to say, I was stoked!  I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how I wanted to cook the chicken (well, in between working of course).  I thought maybe strips, or I could just fry
them whole.  When I got home, I was still debating when I realized I hadn't pulled out chicken breasts.  I'd pulled out chicken legs; even better!  And so I got ready to make myself some fried chicken.

This was my second attempt at fried chicken actually.  The first time it didn't go so well. The chicken ended upcoming out bland and over breaded.  It was there that I realized not to skimp on spices, and how to properly bread the chicken.  Let's just say, second time is the charm, and that's why instead of an experience, you are getting a recipe!  The spice mix is definitely something you can tweak, as I'm sure I will, but I promise that using this one, you are going to get very moist, flavorful chicken that will have you licking your fingers and wanting more!

Deck's Fried Chicken

Serves 2
Ingredients:


Don't skimp!

  • 2 Chicken Legs
  • 1 pint Buttermilk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 Tbsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 cup ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp Allspice (optional)

Step 1 - Clean/rinse the chicken and pat dry.  Separate into thighs and drumsticks.  Place the chicken in ashallow baking dish, and pour in the buttermilk.  Cover and refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Step 2 - Preheat your oil to 350 degrees.  You can either use a small deep fryer like I use, or a pot that holds enough oil to completely submerge the chicken.  Use a light oil like vegetable or peanut oil that doesn't add flavor to the chicken.
Step 3 - Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a shallow pan.
Step 4 - Take one piece of chicken out of the buttermilk, and wipe off the excess.  Place it in the spice mixture and coat evenly.  Then dip it back in the buttermilk, and then back into the spice mixture (should be buttermilk, spices, buttermilk, spices).  Repeat this with each of the remaining pieces.
Step 5 - Place the pieces of chicken gently into the oil so as not to splash yourself, and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the outside is a nice brown texture (go past golden brown, but not quite dark brown).  Remove from the oil and place on paper towels.  Let rest 3-5 additional minutes.
That's all it takes.  You chicken should be juicy, flavorful, and delicious!  Happy Fried Chicken Day!


Delicious Fried Chicken with my Roasted Corn Salad and Potatoes a la Michael Symon

No comments:

Post a Comment