About Me

My Photo
Michael
This blog is about 3 things. First, eating out and telling you about it. Writing food reviews is fun and enjoyable. Second, making my own meals and sharing recipes. I'm all about simple, easy, and tasty. Third, tackling some challenges in my cookbooks. This way I learn techniques and flavors that I can add to my own cooking. And it all adds up to lots of talk about lots of food. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
View my complete profile
Deck On Food Seattle restaurants

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Looking for the Best...

REPOST FROM DECKONFOOD.COM.  http://deckonfood.com/?p=423 

Returning from Wyoming, I don't really have a lot of food stories which is why there hasn't been a post yet.  It wasn't that we didn't eat, but more that everything was more of a big event that featured just some of your basic barbeque items like hamburgers and hot dogs and potato salads and the like.  Not there is anything wrong with those; I quite enjoy my mom's potato salad.  But there was one takeaway from the weekend, one thing that got me thinking, one thing that was worth writing about.

When you tell people that you've started a food blog, and you've gotten into cooking and reviewing restaurants, they start telling you their stories.  They talk about the places that they enjoy eating and that I should try.  They talk about what they've heard about certain foods.  They tell you about what their favorite ingredient is.  Food is like sports in a way; it's something that nearly everyone has an opinion on, and it's something that can be debated endlessly (I was going to say politics, but food has a much more positive connotation like sports).  My favorite of these conversations are the "Best of..." conversations.  It's something that people seek out, and enjoy talking about.  My brother-in-law told me that he had the best hamburger of his life in Casper, WY.  My mom told me that she is still on the search for the best cornbread recipe ever (by the way, if you have any recommendations, please let me know).

On the flight coming back, I got to thinking, what do I want to find the best of in Seattle?  And where do places currently rank?  I decided to narrow my list to Seattle for the time being because it is easier for me to find.  As I travel a little bit more, I hope to be able to add a Best of the US post.  But without further ado, here is my wish list if you will, and who currently has top billing.  And please, don't tell me I'm a moron because of a place I picked; tell me a place that's better, and I'll go.  This is an ever evolving post about finding the best of the best in Seattle and I will add pictures, new categories, and new leaders as I go.

Best Hamburger Under $10

Red Mill Burgers - Red Mill Deluxe with Cheese

Best Hamburger Over $10

Sport - Tillamook Cheddar Burger (now Cheddar Angus Cheeseburger)

Best Wood-Fired Pizza

Delancy

Best Barbeque

Gabriel's Fire - Brisket and Pork Ribs

Best Fish and Chips

Currently undecided

Best Dessert Ice Cream

Fainting Goat Gelato - Cinnamon Gelato

Best Dessert Pie

Macrina Bakery - Lemon Tart

Best Breakfast Bakery

Bakery Nouveau - Twice-baked Almond Croissants

Best Breakfast Traditional

Currently Undecided

Best Mexican Food

Gordito's

Best Thai Food

May Restaurant and Lounge - Pad See Iew

Best Sushi

Umi's Sake House

Best Italian

Brad's Swingside Cafe

1 comment:

  1. While I can't comment on your top picks (yet to make it to Seattle), I do like your comparison of food to sports. Both furnish heated rivalries and can prove highly divisive, but in the end sport and food each provide a common language that can transcend geopolitics.

    ReplyDelete